The Natural Systems section of the syllabus deals with the topics listed below. Bear in mind that candidates will be required to answer one question from this section of the syllabus when writing the Paper 2 of the CXC Geography Examination.
- The internal structure of the earth
- Plate Tectonics
- Volcanic Activity
- How volcanic features may change over time
- The lithosphere, rocks, rock types and the rock cycle
- Denudation, weathering, erosion and mass wasting.
- Types of weathering and various weathering processes.
- Mass Wasting processes (soil creep and landslides)
- The water cycle
- River processes (erosion, transportation and deposition) and drainage patterns
- River valleys and river features
- Types of waves
- Landforms created by wave processes
- Coral Reefs (types, distribution and conditions necessary for their development)
Weather, Climate, Vegetation and Soil
- Weather and climate
- Tropical waves
- Cold fronts
- Inter-Tropical Convergence Zone (ITCZ)
- The ways in which relief affects climate in the Caribbean.
- Equatorial Climate (location, climate, vegetation and soil)
- Tropical Continental Climate (location, climate, vegetation and soil)
- Tropical Marine Climate(location, climate, vegetation and soil)